Hi Mark,

Along with the social media blocking tools mentioned, one of the students with ADHD I support has had some success by setting an alarm reminder that prompts him every 10 minutes.

He knows that he can easily disappear down the internet rabbit hole of distraction unless he makes a plan to stay focused, so before sitting down to do work, he will draw up a brief set of goals for the next hour or two. He then sets his phone alarm to interrupt every 10 minutes, so he can reflect on what he’s doing, and notice whether he is on track with his goals or not. It’s a lo-fi solution, but he finds it useful.

Mick

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Phillips
Sent: 27 October 2017 16:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Use of parental control software to reduce distraction for ADHD student.

I was hoping you may able to give me some advice or user experience with parental control software.  I have recently assessed a student with ADHD and one of the difficulties is attention dysregulation as opposed to out and out concentration difficulties.  The issue I have is if the student is using her computer for study she is easily distracted by email pop ups or social media pop ups which invariably directs her away from study.  My immediate thought was that parental control software may be able to offer some control over this but I have limited experience and knowledge of this type of software.  I have carried out some preliminary research and found that Qustudio may offer some means of blocking social media apps and potentially email for specified time periods but as I have limited knowledge I’m not sure if this will be an effective solution.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark

University of Huddersfield inspiring tomorrow's professionals.