If you rely on consent, the person has to know that they can say no without any detriment and change their minds at any time. This is not as a consequence of GDPR, it's how consent works generally. I don't know why legitimate interests (or even necessary for the performance of a contract) doesn't apply, but choosing consent is quite clear. The person has a complete veto over the process throughout its progress if you choose consent as the processing condition.

Best wishes

Tim Turner
www.2040training.co.uk