Dr. Shaw:

I certainly don't believe working people are inherently racist or fascist. That was not my point.

Rather, I was trying to counter the argument that everybody is responsible for racism and fascism except racists and fascists. Adopting such attitudes is a moral choice, one that many working people do not make. For my part, I see no hard correlation between education and liberative social vision. Here in the U.S., there is no shortage of well-educated fascists and white nationalists whose appeal is derived in no small part from their ability to reappropriate the postures and language of the academic left (see Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, etc.).

I feel that I often run up against a pernicious dualism wherein politics is either all identity or all economic class struggle. Certainly in the U.S., these are not mutually exclusive but are rather all related struggles for equity and justice. I confess my knowledge of history across the Atlantic is embarrassingly meager, but what I do know leads me to believe things are the same in this regard there.

We can certainly debate the character of working class immiseration in America and U.K. But wherever that debate might land, to my mind, it does not absolve people of any class of responsibility for moral choices. To give working class white people a pass for adopting an exclusionary and authoritarian politics is a bit paternalistic, I think, and does a disservice to the many working people who instead seek solidarity and real liberty.

What I find alarming is the degree to which a certain kind of rhetorical move remains effective against critical perspectives. It on the one hand says, "I am also in a struggle, and I share your values" while punching down with the other. It's the logic of "White Lives Matter" and the "Men's Rights" movements, both of which coopt the language of liberative struggles to defend an unjust status quo or advocate for an even more unjust future. Like the "free speech" rallies in the States, these are deployed to provide a disorienting cover for reactionary projects, by which the values of liberals and leftists are weaponized against them. The enemies of open societies cry "free speech". Apologists for racial oppression shout "racism". Defenders of patriarchy holler "sexism". The words don't matter. It's about intent. And I think academics, of all people, ought to be able to get out in front of these tactics at eliding those intentions. This is not at all to say that I've not seen many admirable efforts at just this here on the list and in the literature, but rather that these rhetorical moves' continued efficacy in derailing or steering discourses is worth being worried about.

Best,
R.