From: Willis N. Churnocht <[log in to unmask]>
To: CRIT-GEOG-FORUM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm
Subject: The case for colonialism: whither academia?

The removal of Gilley's writing is a sad state of affairs.

We must either learn to live with an opposing argument, or construct a counter-argument.

To shut Gilley's argument down completely is counter-productive and symptomatic of the regressive left, which has alienated many.

If we introduce a blanket ban on arguments for colonialism, why not do the same for Marxism?

After all, Marxist-leaning articulations of politics were responsible for vastly more deaths across the twentieth century than any right-leaning regimes. Yet Marxism is glorified in the social sciences.

The bottom line is that 'I'm so offended by this' should not provide a legitimate means for educated and critical academics to wash their hands of an argument.

Whither academia's freedom, objectivity and critical foundations?

Peace, WC x