-- CALL FOR PAPERS --

American Association of Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting

New Orleans, Louisiana, April 10-14, 2018

Food geographies: culture, media, politics

Sponsored by the Geographies of Food and Agriculture Speciality Group (GFASG)

Organiser: Christine Barnes, King’s College London.

Eating is one of the most intimate and geographically embedded acts, yet the ways that we eat are increasingly becoming a spectacle consumed through our screens. From dedicated food TV channels teaching us to cook, political food documentaries, to the rise of social media food stars, and apps that allow you to track and record every morsel that passes your lips, food is becoming ever more spectacular and performative. Buying, cooking and eating food remain material and embodied acts, but our engagement with food is increasingly mediated by diverse media and cultural forms with important impacts on our health, bodies, relationships and economies. Mediated foodscapes raise critical questions about the cultural politics of food, the political framings of ‘good’ and ‘healthy’ diets, representations of self and lifestyle, and the broader geographies of food production and consumption.

This session invites papers that engage critical questions of food culture, politics and media. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

Please send a title and abstract (250 words) to [log in to unmask] by 15th October 2017

Dr Christine Barnes

Teaching Fellow

Department of Geography, King's College London

Room K4.10, King's Building, Strand Campus

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/geography/people/teaching-Fellows/Dr-Christine-Barnes.aspx