*AAG 2018 Annual Conference, April 10^th - 14^th **New Orleans,
Louisiana USA *

*Title: Diverse Economies and Liveable Worlds. *

*Sponsors: *

*Economic Geography Specialty Group*
*Cultural Geography Specialty Group

*

*Session(s) Format:* The following is a call for papers (or panels) to
be organized into a series of sessions to mark the official University
of Minnesota Press launch of the */Diverse Economies and Liveable
Worlds/* Book Series.  This Book Series highlights diverse economies
scholarship that continues on in the tradition of */Making Other Worlds
Possible/* (edited by Gerda Roelvink, Kevin St. Martin, and J.K.
Gibson-Graham, 2015).  The inaugural book in the series, */Building
Dignified Worlds/* (2016) by Gerda Roelvink, will be followed this year
by */Carving out the Commons: Tenant Organizing and Housing Cooperatives
in Washington, D.C/*/. /by Amanda Huron.

We are interested in convening a track of sessions around the theme of
Diverse Economies and Liveable Worlds.  We are particularly interested
to explore the *political and strategic implications of performing
economic diversity *through research with both human and non-human
others. 'Diverse economies' works as the ontological ground upon which
we can ethically explore how we might perform the economy as a diverse
field occupied by a variety of potential trajectories and open to
experimentation rather than as a singular inevitability. More than just
an analytical frame, then, diverse economies suggests a research program
that is always, already*an intentional (ethical) intervention into
making other worlds possible*. In the current context of "electoral
mutiny," right-wing populism, violence and conflict, and accumulating
evidence that climate change is a present reality, it seems to us that
the task of imagining and enacting liveable worlds "here and now" is
more important than ever.

So far we have

 1. An author meets critics session in honor of Amanda Huron's book, and
 2. A session on the future of manufacturing based on a research project
    conducted by Katherine Gibson, Jenny Cameron, Joanne McNeill and
    Stephen Healy.

We are looking for 2-3 more sessions to make a day of it.

You are invited to submit a paper abstract which we will slot into a
session. Alternatively, we welcome suggestions for entire sessions
(paper or panel) that you would like to organize and place into this
series.  All sessions will share the title "Diverse Economies and
Liveable Worlds" followed by a roman numeral to designate an order and
thematic continuity.

*Potential themes which intersect with Diverse Economies and Liveable
Worlds include (but are not limited to):*

  * Diverse Economies/Diverse Ecologies
  * Performativity and Economic Diversity
  * Spaces and Places of Economic Difference
  * Commons, Commoning, and Community Economies
  * Assembling Economic Alternatives
  * Ethics and Ethical Economic Practices
  * Alternative Economic Forms (Cooperatives, Collectives, Households,
    Individuals)
  * Expansion, Spread, and Transposition of Economic Difference
  * Community Economies in Response to State Violence,
    Post-conflict/Post-disaster Settings, and Decoloniality.
  * Community Economies and Nonviolence

Please indicate your interest by contacting one of us (see below) and
submitting an abstract or plans for a session as soon as possible
(ideally before October 15^th ). We are aiming to have all abstracts in
and sessions organized before the AAG abstract deadline of October 25.
Sessions can be organized (from submitted abstracts or as non-paper
panels) until November 8. Modifications to abstracts and sessions can be
made until February 23.

*Please do not hesitate to send a quick note indicating interest.*
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kevin St. Martin ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>), Katherine Gibson
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
), Stephen Healy ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> )

See also communityeconomies.org for related information, materials, and
articles.