Yes, sorry, 'conspiracy' overstates your point, David. And thanks for these figures, that help explain why you singled out these three organisations, which I found slightly baffling - they all being major recipients of AC grants.
   What really surprised me is that though literature accounts for by far the slenderest slice of the pie, we are still dealing with very considerable amounts of money. As I confessed I'm an ignoramus about AC funding, directives, and 'pressures' - though there would certainly seem major support for the spoken word. Is this to do with being able to tick certain boxes regarding diversity rather than especially wanting to make poetry 'accessible'? I'm seriously uninformed about this, but it seems a reasonable topic to discuss. Is the AC very much on the side of a simplified kind of poetry? One that makes the least demands on the reader?
   I can't help thinking that the serious work in poetry goes on regardless of any AC sponsorship but I can see, up to a point, why some publishers and organisations and festivals who further the art could be usefully funded centrally or locally.
   What still makes poetry such an attractive art is it can be practiced with a biro and the back of an envelope: minimal outlay, even if not maximal outreach...
Best,
Jamie

Sent from my iPad