Canada “lost a significant amount of truth” about the worst abuses at
Indian residential schools with last week’s Supreme Court of Canada
decision that records should be destroyed, says the director of the
National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

“The truth is powerful but easily suppressed,” Ry Moran said Wednesday in
Saskatoon.

The Supreme Court ruled that survivors who told detailed accounts of
horrific physical and sexual abuses at Indian residential schools in an
assessment process to decide financial compensation were told their stories
would be kept private and signed confidentiality agreements.

http://bit.ly/2xRIyCX
http://bit.ly/2xRIyCX+

As part of the Canadian government's 2006 Indian Residential Schools
Settlement Agreement, thousands of Indigenous Canadians have shared
harrowing memories of their time in government-run residential schools in
hopes of obtaining compensation for years of neglect and mistreatment.
The survivors
provided accounts of physical, emotional and sexual abuse during closed
hearings, believing that their testimony would remain confidential.

But the government has fought to retain the testimony for historical
documentation. Seeking recourse in the legal system, the government argued
that because the testimony was government record, it could not be legally
destroyed, Colby Cosh explains in the *National Post.*

http://bit.ly/2yAK1Rq
http://bit.ly/2yAK1Rq+

One of the ways to persecute is to rob people of their history. This was
done by male historians seeking to undervalue the contributions of women.
It was done by white historians seeking to confirm racist ideologies.

Now a group of all white judges has entrenched the power of a body created
by a white majority government to rob the victims of residential schools of
their history. On October 6, 2017 the Supreme Court of Canada made it legal
for the authorities in charge of compensating the victims of the
residential school system to destroy the records of the abuse after a given
delay.

Before we get into why the highest court in Canada came to this decision,
we need to talk about residential schools.

http://bit.ly/2gw2mZS
http://bit.ly/2gw2mZS+

--
Peterk