A bit off piste, but she might enjoy reading Modoc, about an elephant that went from Germany to India to the US (circus and work)
And the Saramago story about the Elephant that the king of Portugal gave to the King of Spain

Salima Ikram
Visiting Professor
NELC
Yale University
Office +1 203 432-6786
Office: HGS (320 York St)  Room 2695 (Wing A)