Hi Peter

We’ve switched to using Office 365 ProPlus Click-to-Run (C2R) over the summer as part of our Windows 10 deployment, and so far all seems to be working well, this was primarily for integration with Office 365 services, feature updates & better consistency with versions staff & students are using at home (from their Office 365 licenses), particularly with Microsoft announcing that they’ll cease integration with Office 365 services for VL versions of Office desktop from 2020.

Click-to-Run packages are based on App-V technology, but aren’t dependent on the App-V client being enabled or configured, no streaming is required and you can create an offline deployment using the Office Deployment Tool (ODT) 2016, we use Shared Computer Activation which allows users to activate the Office 365 applications but doesn’t count towards their 5 installations, there are some requirements for this including that users must be correctly licensed for Office 365 ProPlus and you can’t use things like mandatory profiles as a token is created on activation, you’ll also want to ensure ADFS is enabled and working correctly for activation, some further details can be found in the following blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/educloud/2015/03/20/how-to-setup-shared-computer-activation-step-by-step-for-your-education-environment/

One problem you may have is if you also use Project & Visio, only a single method of activation is supported on a client i.e. either Shared Computer Activation or KMS, while you can add Project Online Essentials free on an Office 365 Education plan, it doesn’t allow use of the desktop client and both Project Online Professional (which does allow use of Project 2016 desktop) and Visio Pro for Office 365 are paid only subscriptions, so it’s not supported to use the VL versions of Project & Visio with C2R Office 365 ProPlus using Shared Computer Activation (SCA).

There are several options for updates including ConfigMgr (which has a nice reporting node for Office 365 Client Management and versions) and WSUS, you can configure updates according to requirements and your environment, but new builds for Office 365 ProPlus are regularly released so you’ll need a robust piloting and change process for deployment. Group Policies are simple and are managed via the standard Office 2016 ADMX templates.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark Bland
Infrastructure Engineer