Hi,

We’re still using the VL version but it is very much in my mind to plan to move to C2R as we find more and more users asking why functionality is missing compared to their home machines which are using C2R.  I expect that sometime in the more distant future C2R will be the only supported clients for O365.

C2R updates are easy to manage if you use SCCM as this has a node specifically for this purpose and you can use automatic deployment rules to stagger the updates and target rings as you would for Windows 10 updates.  This is probably achievable with GPOs as well but SCCM would be preferable.

There is some useful information on shared devices here:

http://boards.microsoft.com/public/item/143236?token=f55452094b

and

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Overview-of-shared-computer-activation-for-Office-365-ProPlus-836f882c-8ff6-4f19-8b24-0212e0111c94?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

You’ll need to configure device/shared based activation for IT Labs etc.

Moving from VL to C2R requires running the Office scrubbing tools to remove all VL installs before installing C2R.  It is quite easily achieved through SCCM and Microsoft provide a script to do this (see above link).  It doesn’t take all that long as the C2R install is very fast and it is something you can stick in your Application Catalog and let users run it for themselves.

C2R I believe does use some elements of App-V technology but the Office instance is visible to other apps as well as the OS so you don’t require the usual App-V things like connection groups to get add-ins working.  From what I have seen the majority of add-ins which support Office 2016 will work out of the box with C2R Office 365 Pro Plus.

You can deliver C2R Office with remote app but you’ll need to use shared device setup as you would in a lab because you have multiple users on a single box.

C2R is easy to include in a task sequence/OS deployment (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Deploy-Office-365-ProPlus-as-part-of-an-operating-system-image-16cf763b-78a4-43dc-b05f-3efade197c0d) and is also very simple to deploy via InTune for your MDM only devices (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/08/10/deploying-office-365-proplus-with-microsoft-intune/).

Alex

Alex Pooley

Senior Desktop Developer

University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7TJ

Tel: 01603 597222

cid:image001.png@01D09851.EF67E200

Gold (Teaching Excellence Framework 2017)

UK Top 15 (The Times/Sunday Times 2017 and Complete University Guide 2018)

World Top 200 (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017)

Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2005-2017. Overall student satisfaction, English mainstream universities)

TEF Gold logo RGB  facebook  twitter-old tumblr flickr linkedin youtube cid:image008.png@01CF8BB5.50024060

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this email or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.