Dear colleague – we recently circulated an invitation to contribute to a brilliant new project which a small team of us are working with Wiley Blackwell on developing, which is the first ever Encyclopaedia of Gender, Media and Communication: this constitutes the latest project in the ICA series of Sub-Disciplinary Encyclopaedias of Communication. We hope you agree that this will be an exciting and important contribution to the field. While there are several handbooks and edited collections which focus on many of the gendered aspects of media, culture and communication, an encyclopaedia which maps the broader landscape is currently missing: our project intends to remedy that lack.

The project is obviously ambitious and we will not be able to please everyone or include everything, but we have identified a potential topic list and so far, the response from the academic community to this first invitation has been brilliant and we have now identified authors for around 200 entries.  However, there are number of topics for which we have yet to find authors, so we are sending out a follow-up invitation in relation to this particular list of topics which we set out below. We are keen that the Encyclopaedia is as inclusive and broad-based as possible and we are therefore seeking a mix of established and less experienced contributors, from all parts of the global research community.

This short topic list is not exhaustive and if you think there is a significant omission about which you like to write, then please let us have your suggestion. Also, if you would like to write on a more focused aspect of one of the topics, please let us have your suggestion.  Lastly, if there is a particular person, or film/TV show who you believe has been significant in shaping/driving forward the gender-media-communication agenda in some way, about whom you would like to write, we are ready to hear about that as well.

As an editorial team, with our various experiences of researching and writing on aspects of the gender-media relationship, we are mindful of issues such as intersectionality, fluid sexual identities and stereotypes. You will see that in the list, we continue to use certain terms (eg women, men, disability, age, race, LGBTQ, trans) in order to mark out the parameters for the topics to be discussed and in this way, hope to make the Encyclopaedia a useful and useable resource. Where appropriate, we encourage you to develop a critical approach to the use of these terms in the entries which (we hope!) you will write. The Encyclopaedia is focused on gender (albeit itself a rather contested category) so all contributions must engage with this central theme, either privileging one ‘identity’ category or else adopting a comparative or intersectional approach.

If the broad ambitions of the project sound appealing, please read on.

Timescale – we expect the three-volume Encyclopaedia to be published in late 2019 so working backwards, we would expect to receive first drafts of entries by late May 2018 for shorter entries (1000-5999 words) and late April 2019 for longer ones (6,000+ words).

Style – an encyclopaedic entry is a summary of the research on a particular topic and is thus more a literature review than an opportunity to talk about an original piece of research although you can obviously do this in a modest way.

Length – entries will be of different lengths, ranging from long overview essays of around 6,000 words down to smaller entries of around 1-2000 words. We have identified a suggested length for each entry in the topic list but if you would like to write more or less, then please suggest an alternative length.

Payment – contributors will be paid in books and online access to the Encyclopaedia for a specified length of time, currently 24 months from publication and for as long thereafter as you are prepared to provide updates: for long essays (10,000 words) = $350 worth of Wiley-Blackwell books; mid-length essays (4,000 - 8,000 words) = $250; short essays (2,000 - 4,000 words) = $150; and very short essays (1,000 - 2,000 words) = $100.

Next steps – if you are interested in writing an entry, please provide: 1) a <200-word synopsis of what you intend to cover, key authors (4-6), key themes, etc. and   2) a <150-word biographical statement to include current affiliation and your job title.

Deadline – please forgive tight turnaround, but it would be great if you could your synopsis and biog by 29 September 2017 to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Thanks very much for getting to the end of this email and we hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Karen Ross for the Editorial Team/Encyclopaedia for Gender, Culture and Communication

Ingrid Bachmann (Associate Editor)

Valentina Cardo (Associate Editor)

Sujata Moorti (Associate Editor)

Marco Scarcelli (Associate Editor)

LIST OF TOPICS
Bromance (2)

Comic book characters on film and TV (4)

Cross-cultural communication (4)

Female action heroes (4)

Female characters on film (6)

Female characters on TV (6)

Gender and advertising (6)

Gender and sci-fi (4)

Gender, race and broadcast entertainment (6)

Gender, race and film (6)

Hillary Clinton (4)

Lesbian characters on film

Lesbian characters on TV

Male action heroes (4)

Male characters on film (6)

Parent blogs (2)

Prime Suspect (2)

Queer TV (4)

Representing Donald Trump (2)

Revenge porn (2)

Sex blogs (2)

Sex and culture (2)

Sexploitation/sex comedy (2)

Technosex (2)

The gendered audience (4)

Violence on screen (4)

‘Waves’ of feminism (4)

Websites for men (4)

Websites for women (4)

Women's lifestyle magazines (4)

Karen Ross
Professor of Gender and Media
Media|Culture|Heritage
Director of Research
School of Arts and Cultures
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, UK
m: +44 (0) 7798 884110
@krossings
http://krossings.me<http://krossings.me/>
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sacs/staff/profile/karen.ross

Latest books: Karen Ross (2017) Gender, Politics, News: A Game of Three Sides. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 978-118561645;  Karen Ross and Claudia Padovani, eds. (2016) Gender Equality and the Media: A Challenge for Europe. Routledge. ISBN 978-1138892682

This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any use, disclosure or reproduction without the sender’s explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify Northumbria University immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University. Northumbria University email is provided by Microsoft Office365 and is hosted within the EEA, although some information may be replicated globally for backup purposes. The University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and/or amended.