The cutoff frequency is generally defined as the frequency where the signal is down by -3 dB (relative to the passband).  So at the cutoff frequency some of the signal is removed (half power) but signal is still present.

If you are not using a brickwall filter (very high order), then you will see the amount of signal removed gradually increasing as frequency decreases.