Dear Stavros,

I will direct you to a couple of references; let me know this doesn't take
care of your questions.

As always, the place to start is the SPM book
<http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/books/hbf2/>: Chapters 14 & 15 go
over Random Field Theory, the approach used to compute p-values for cluster
size and voxel/peak intensity; Chapter 16 covers the
nonparametric/permutation approach to the same.  For more details see
papers referenced in those chapters.

As for "standard deviation of the values within the cluster" I'm afraid
there are no standard results for that; if you pick a random voxel in a T
statistic image, it should have stdev of 1 and mean equal to it's
non-centrality parameter (approximately).  But the values within the
cluster are selected and thus will have some different distribution that
depends on the cluster forming threshold and the smoothness of the image.

About voxel resolution of the images (acquired or normalized) and FWHM of
the applied smoothing, that is under your control.  Consult your local MR
physicist for the actual resolution of the images acquired (usually a
sinc-shaped point spread function that is just a tiny bit larger than your
voxels).  Note that for Random Field Theory, the key parameter is not the
applied smoothness but the intrinsic smoothness, estimated by the residuals
(see Kiebel et al. 1999 for details).

-Tom

Kiebel, S., Poline, J.-B., Friston, K. J., Holmes, A. P., & Worsley, K. J.
(1999). Robust smoothness estimation in statistical parametric maps using
standardized residuals from the general linear model. *NeuroImage*, *10*,
756–766.