Sent on Behalf of  Malcolm Hall

Dear Madam/Sir,

There will be an afternoon meeting ‘Analysing Environmental Data’ on Monday 23rd October 2017 between 1:15 pm and 4:30 pm. The meeting will be held at Scottish Natural Heritage, Great Glen House, Leachkin Road, INVERNESS, IV3 8NW. The meeting is intended to engage both experienced statisticians and all scientists involved or collaborating in analysing environmental data.

The meeting comprises two parts. The first part will include submitted talks describing the modelling of Atlantic salmon post-smolt dispersal from Scottish shores (Pitlochry & Aberdeen), assessing the distribution of harbour porpoise through thinned point process models to infer overall distribution vs. foraging detections (St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Belfast, Cromarty & Edinburgh), and the description of a new approach to modelling time series of annual abundance indices as a function of high-dimensional weather data (Aberdeen & Lancaster).

The second half of the meeting, after simple refreshments, comprises a longer invited presentation from Dr Adam Butler (Edinburgh) titled "Developing effective collaborations with scientists: experiences of an applied environmental statistician". Dr Butler is a senior statistician at Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland with extensive experience of analysing both physical and biological environmental data over a 15 year period.

The meeting is held under the auspices of the Royal Statistical Society’s Highland Local Group and Environmental Statistics Section. All are welcome and there is no charge to attend the meeting. There will however be an opportunity to make a small (£0.01 upwards) donation of your choice to partially cover some of the costs (if you are not a member of the Royal Statistical Society or giving a talk) but only if you feel able to do so. But please do not let this put you off attending – it is entirely voluntary and we have no intention of embarrassing anyone.  The main purpose of this meeting is the opportunity to share our collective statistical and scientific experience as a community.

Due to the size of our venue, kindly made available to us by Scottish Natural Heritage, the meeting is limited to 60 participants. At this early stage we have 20 registered participants and it would help if you could send a note letting us know that you intend to attend by the 17th October to [log in to unmask] This will ensure that space will be kept for you in case we are oversubscribed, and will also help us to order appropriate refreshments. But if you don’t manage to register, you can always take a chance by turning up on the day.

On behalf of the organisers,

Malcolm Hall

Co-organiser with Megan Towers and Roger Humphry of the RSS joint HLG/ESS Inverness meeting

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.