Greetings all,

An Icelandic commentary on Mass and the Hours singles out bells for special attention, noting that they are blessed with a longer prayers than other items, 'as if baptised. (they are) washed in Holy Water outside 4 times and inside 4 times, with blessed/consecrated salt and holy oil, and after that chrismed with the highest chrism equally many times, just as a man is confirmed after baptism and receives the spirit of strength to do good works. So (the bell) is confirmed so that God's power will accompany it and its sound will attract angels and drive away devils and all harmful things.'

Does anyone know of parallels to this? My Latin isnīt up to creating a translation and searching. What intrigues me is that, while I have not run across anything like this before, I have run across a prohibition against baptizing bells - which seems almost to be what is going on here!
Any insights much appreciated!
Meg