Dear all,

We are currently seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in Business Information Systems at the University of Sydney:

Postdoctoral Research Associate in Business Information Systems

The University of Sydney Business School

1927/0917

*         Gain valuable research experience and contribute to ground-breaking innovations in higher education alongside internationally-renowned colleagues

*         Develop your research career in a world-class business school

*         Research only- Fixed-term for 2 years, Level A Step 6 at 0.8 FTE. Successful candidate might negotiate additional responsibilities to make up the difference to 1.0 FTE.

At 1.0 FTE, remuneration package is $106K p.a. which includes base salary, leave loading and up to 17% superannuation

About the opportunity

The Digital Disruption Research Group (DDRG), in the Discipline of Business Information Systems, brings together colleagues from academia and industry who share an interest in the wider topic areas of technology in business and the future of business and work. The DDRG is open to a wide range of topics and approaches without restricting possible research initiatives sharing an interest in investigating and exploring the particular nature and characteristics of disruptive change and its implications for business practice. The research group is open to like-minded colleagues who want to be involved in researching such issues with an interest beyond the immediate everyday set of problems. We generally take a balanced and critical view of technology and aim to look beyond any hype of the day. The group has become a vibrant meeting space for colleagues to discuss and link their individual research initiatives, for exploring new ideas and establishing new research projects, for brainstorming, formulating and disseminating ideas. We are equally interested in 'doing' as we are in 'thinking'.

We are currently seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Discipline of Business Information Systems, at the Associate Lecturer level. The position will be located in the ARC Linkage project "Evidence-based Management for Enterprise Social Networking Success (LP150101261), co-funded by the Australian Research Council and Capgemini Australia Pty Ltd.

About the project:

Traditional top-down management techniques assume that technologies are introduced into businesses to enhance and automate predefined business processes. Increasingly however, businesses are confronted with disruptive technologies (such as Enterprise Social Networks - ESN) whose purpose and business significance is not initially clear and only gradually discovered through active user experimentation. These disruptive digital technologies can only realise their innovative potential if properly managed, yet traditional techniques are both inadequate and too conservative to apply to disruptive technologies. This project develops and tests a novel theory and methodology for the successful introduction of disruptive technologies to organisations. It is innovative because it creates and tests new theory that frames the introduction of disruptive technology as guided user experimentation. It critically questions traditional roles and responsibilities of management in relation to technology introduction. The project draws on continental philosophy and hermeneutics to understand introduction of new technology as a managed dialectic of interpretation and edification.

Start date: 1 February 2018

About you

The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting people aligned to these values. To be successful as a candidate, you will have:

*         A PhD in information systems, organisation studies, social sciences, or a related field

*         Demonstrated ability to achieve research outcomes with refereed publications at international level

*         A tentative research program in line with the research project in the fields of Digital Technology, Workplace studies, Digital Infrastructures, or cognate disciplines that study technology using social science perspectives

*         A demonstrated theoretical and methodological background relevant to the project, and familiarity with interpretivist, qualitative research approaches, and non-dualist, continental philosophical positions (e.g. phenomenology and hermeneutics)

For a full list of selection criteria please refer to the online application system.

About us

Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We're Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.

We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job's listing on the University of Sydney careers website.

All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website.  Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment<http://sydney.edu.au/recruitment/> and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.

Closing date: 27 October 2017

The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.

(c) The University of Sydney

The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.