Hi Catherine

As you suggested, there have been a few discussions on this list over the
last two years or so about Beacons. As a GLAMi judge and fan of the Museums
and the Web conference in the US, I thought I'd also point you to a few
recent papers by #musetech researchers over the last year or so.

Although other list contributors have already posted some great comments
about their own experiences, I thought this might help in terms of getting
a wider perspective.

http://mw2014.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/beyond-the-screen-creating-interactives-that-are-location-time-preference-and-skill-responsive/
[early thinking on the core objectives that might lie behind use of beacons]

http://mw2015.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/storyteller-world-war-one-love-and-sorrow-a-hybrid-exhibition-mobile-experience/
[Clearly described paper about pioneering use of beacons in WW1 museum show]

http://mw2015.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/context-is-king-using-indoor-location-technology-for-new-visitor-experiences/
[Great paper explaining the tech background and capability of beacons in
museum context]

http://mw2015.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/location-location-location-the-proliferation-of-indoor-positioning-and-what-it-means-and-doesnt-mean-for-museums/
[Interestingly critical paper about beacons]

http://mw2015.museumsandtheweb.com/bow/google-glass-for-keith-haring-the-political-line/
[high end ideas from Antenna - wearables and beacons]

http://mw2016.museumsandtheweb.com/paper/inclusive-design-from-approach-to-execution/
[Excellent paper about beacons at the heart of accessble content provision]

https://mw17.mwconf.org/paper/a-path-with-choice-what-we-learned-from-designing-an-inclusive-audio-guide/
 [Using beacons at the heart of an accessible audio guide programme]

I hope some of these papers might be useful

All the best

Jon

Jon Pratty, FRSA
Creative Director, People in IT Ltd
07739 287392
@jon_pratty

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Ryan, Catherine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> We’re looking at trialling some beacons here at the National Gallery of
> Ireland, and I was wondering if anyone has seen it done particularly well
> anywhere, content-wise? We’re still at a very early stage of content
> discussions here, but we know that we don’t want to duplicate material that
> people can already find on our website and audio guides. Has anyone had
> success (or failure!) with different types of content? And for those of you
> who have implemented it, what has the take-up been like for the download of
> the app? All advice from the group gratefully received!
>

> Apologies if this has been covered by the group recently!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Catherine
>

> *Catherine Ryan*
>
> National Gallery of Ireland *\* Digital Media Assistant
>
> T: 01 669 3587 *\* M: 087 768 8544
>

> EXHIBITIONS:
>
> Vermeer and the Masters of Genre Painting:Inspiration and Rivalry
> Until 17 September 2017
> Ticket booking www.nationalgallery.ie
>
> Käthe Kollwitz: Life, Death and War
> 6 September - 10 December 2017. Free admission.
>
> Frederic William Burton: For the Love of Art
> 25 October 2017 - 14 January 2018
> Ticket Booking www.nationalgallery.ie
>
> Forgotten Faces
> Until 30 November 2017. Free admission.
>
> ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ******
> ******
> The information contained in this email and in any attachments is
> confidential and is intended solely for the use and attention of the
> intended recipient(s). This information may be subject to legal &
> professional privilege. If you are not an intended recipient of this email,
> you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any
> part of it. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
> sender immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer
> system(s). This footnote also confirms that this email message has been
> inspected for the presence of malware. The National Gallery of Ireland is
> subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2014 and the contents of this
> email may be disclosable under that Act. For further information see our
> website: www.nationalgallery.ie
>
> Tá an t-eolas sa teachtaireacht ríomhphoist seo agus in aon cheangaltán a
> ghabhann leis faoi rún agus tá sé á chur ar fáil d'úsáid agus d'aire an
> duine/na ndaoine a bhfuil sá á s(h)eoladh chuige / chucu amháin.
> D'fhéadfadh an t-eolas seo a bheith faoi réir ag pribhléid dhlíthíuil agus
> phroifisiúnta. Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad, ní cóir
> duit an teachtaireacht seo, nó aon chuid di, a úsáid, a nochtadh, a
> chóipeail, a dháileadh ná a choinneáil. Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte
> agat trí dhearmad, cuir an duine a sheol é ar an eolas láithreach agus
> scrios amach gach uile chóip den teachtaireacht ríomhphoist seo as do
> [...]

Jon Pratty, FRSA
Creative Digital Producer
07739 287392
@jon_pratty

Creative Director, People in IT Ltd

I have a hearing impairment and my preferred means of communications is
email. If I'm not answering my phone, please leave voice mail in a loud and
clear voice, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg