If you do use spreadsheet I would recommend entering one copy per row, even if that means duplicating the title details – but you can copy a whole row so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I would also recommend making sure, where available, you include the ISBN or ISSN so you can join up these separate copies if in the future you ever decide to import the data in a catalogue or library management system.

If you don’t do this it can be difficult to work out how many copies there are and how to tell parts of sets as opposed to copies and their various attributes like location, unique ID (accession number / barcode etc.) acquisitions status, on loan etc.

Remember Excel spreadsheets are also difficult to share, publish and search.

If you do go with a free library system also make sure that you understand how you enter several copies of the same title.

Do you have to enter them as many times as you have copies? If you do, you are not saving time entering records.

Do you need automated cataloguing – downloading bibliographic records and images?

Is the data yours and can you extract it? Is there a cost for extracting your data?

How many records can you store before you start paying?

Can you add an image of the front cover?

Look for catalogue software, free or otherwise, that allows you to enter one title and then link / attach your copy / copies.

This is what a relational database does for you – it handles one to many relationships.

At the end of the day it depends on the number of titles you hold / will hold, whether you have multiple copies, whether you want to share the list / catalogue as a searchable catalogue and whether you lend.

All the best,

Penny Bailey BA, Dip. Lib, MCLIP, MIoD, FRSA

Managing Director

Bailey Solutions Ltd

Tel: +44 (0)1273 773788

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.baileysolutions.co.uk

Web: www.knowallenquire.com

Web: www.simplelittlelibrarysystem.co.uk

Registered in England, Company no. 04445779. Registered Office: Curtis House, 34 Third Avenue, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 2PD. VAT Reg No 737 381 417