*apologies for cross posting*

CILIP (the library and information association) will be hosting a brand new Privacy Briefing on 28 November focusing on the ethics and principles affecting library and information professionals. Speakers are from organisations including The National Archives, British Library, Wellcome Trust, IFLA and Open Rights Group.

There is increasing anxiety in library and information work about

-        The tension between the freedom of access to information and the right of an individual to privacy concerning personal data,

-        The role of the information professional in defending people’s right to seek out and access different kinds of information

-        The vigilance we need to apply in protecting the data of our users, particularly with the GDPR coming into force next year.

-        Finding the balance between user privacy and the need to have access to information.

This Briefing seeks to address some of the areas of concern, as well as assist information professionals in understanding the basic principles of user privacy and to reflect on their own practice as well as those of their employing organisation

Save 20% and book by 20 October. CILIP Members receive further discounts.

Programme and Registration: http://bit.ly/privacy17j1

                                                 _

Rachel Kudlick

Events Marketing

www.cilip.org.uk/join

CILIP, the library and information association

7 Ridgmount St, London, WC1E 7AE