A quick reminder that this CfP for the 2018 SIS Themed Conference (5-6 April, 2018, University of Sussex) is closing soon.

'Resisting Dante/Dante Resisting'

Dante's Commedia is simultaneously a site of resistance--politically, theologically, personally, poetically--to the ills Dante identified in the world, and a site of authority, in which a very particular, teleological, literary and historical stance is adopted and thoroughly, often belligerently pursued in ways that seem to stifle resistance. We are seeking papers which approach both sides of Dante's text(s), looking at the ways in which Dante articulates resistance to his historical moment and literary forebears, and shedding light on (and even resisting) Dante's construction of a ostensibly monolithic authority in his works including and especially the Commedia. We will also consider papers on ways in which the figure and works of Dante have been used as tools of resistance by later readers.

Please send a title, short abstract (no more that 250 words), and brief biographical statement to David Bowe ([log in to unmask]) or Helena Phillips-Robins ([log in to unmask]) by 26 September.

All the best,

David & Helena

Dr David Bowe
Victoria Maltby Junior Research Fellow
Somerville College, University of Oxford
oxford.academia.edu/DavidBowe
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies