Dear HER Forum members

Further to my previous email about the forthcoming online discussion on local authority archaeology services, in response to feedback from previous discussions in advance here are the seven questions that we’d like to discuss:

1. To what extent are the current roles and functions of public sector (local authority and

Historic England) archaeological services appropriate for the future?

What are the pressures and the opportunities for change?

2. What examples do we have of modifications/developments in regional and local

structures that have occurred to date? How successful/unsuccessful have these been? Does

practice need to change to meet new pressures? If so how?

3. Are there other ways, tested or untested, of delivering these services? What can we learn

from new/different service models e.g. Wales; GLAAS; Worcestershire; South West Heritage

Trust?

4. We have both local authority services and HE regional teams. Is this the most-appropriate

division of labour/responsibilities? Would more-collaborative working, both regionally and

nationally, be more effective?

5. What is Historic England’s strategic role in respect of local authorities? How can Historic

England and the rest of the sector work together, post-Howell Redesdale report and the

Culture White paper, to sustain and develop local advisory services?

6. Statutory local authority services – is this a concept worth fighting for or is it a nonstarter?

Would improved definitions of services/standards/performance be beneficial?

Should these be linked to funding and in what way e.g. payment by results?

7. A plan for the future: what are our short and long term priorities for change?

o Are there lessons we can learn from recent experiences in England and

elsewhere?

o Are there changes we as a sector need to make to the way we do things? What

short-term/long-term strategies exist/need to be developed?

o Are there specific legislative and/or policy changes that we need to lobby for?

You can also read a detailed briefing paper giving the background to the discussion. https://www.archaeologists.net/sites/default/files/21st-century%20Challenges%2C%20local%20advisory%20services%2C%20online%20discussion%204%20briefing%20papers.pdf