Good luck Sarah, you will be missed.

My two favourites – this one came with a poignant illustration showing the urchins all around the skeleton they must have been well loved:

A round barrow, now destroyed. A woman and child were found buried with over 100 echini [fossilised sea urchins].

And this one, which makes me laugh every time I find it:

"Workmen in employ of John Day, … digging foundation of farmhouse near Biggleswade, … helmet of most exquisite workmanship, … human bones, … metallic substance of oval form, like a shield; a few inches lower … more human bones … made out skeleton of man and horse; man appeared to have been clothed in complete suit of armour, which was nearly perfect, though somewhat disjointed. Appeared to have been of gigantic stature; sword very ponderous, lay at feet of horse. Following morning … discovered other skeletons of men and horses all standing in erect position, clothed in armour. Mr Day with great liberality, is proceeding in further search, as from position of skeleton already found, and the marshy nature of ground little doubt is entertained but many more will be found. That it must have been a whole body of horse which fell into some snare of an enemy and were then swallowed up."

Sam

Sam Mellonie BSc (Hons) ACIfA

Technical Officer

Historic Environment Record/Building Control

Regeneration and Business Directorate

Central Bedfordshire Council Priory House, Monks Walk, Chicksands, Shefford, Bedfordshire, SG17 5TQ

Direct dial: 0300 300 6038  |  Internal: 76038 |  Email: [log in to unmask]

Please note, I do not work Fridays

Central Bedfordshire - A great place to live and work - www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk

Information security classification* of this email: OFFICIAL

*Information security definitions:

OFFICIAL – Loss could cause some damage to the Authority

OFFICIAL – SENSITIVE – Loss could cause severe damage to the Authority

UNCLASSIFIED – Loss would cause little or no damage to the Authority

Want to be inspired? Like a challenge? Then join the team? www.leadingcentralbedfordshire.co.uk