From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Thomas Seers <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Deformable Sandbox Designs

Hi
We are looking for a deformable sandbox for performing tension / compression analogue modeling (mainly as a teaching tool, but also for special student projects etc). I have seen a couple of ready made systems for sale from online educational suppliers, but these are a little bit small for our needs. Really, we are looking for a unit with lateral dimensions of around 1 m x 1 m and a reasonable depth (i.e. 20-30 cm), so that it can act as a nice center piece for group demos. The only other requirement is that the actuator doesn't interfere with the students view (ideally in plan view as well as section). If anyone knows of a turnkey solution out there, that would be great. Alternatively, if anyone has a workable design, we could probably get it fabricated in-house by our machine shop (however, something off the shelf would definitely be preferable).
Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated
All the best

Assistant Professor
Department of Petroleum Engineering
Texas A&M University at Qatar