I'm editing this special issue with my colleagues Damian Milton and Hanna Bertilsdotter Rosqvist.
I hope to see papers from some of you, and am looking forward to reading your submissions. Please note criteria and due dates below.

--Dr Mitzi Waltz, Athena Centre, VU Amsterdam / Disability Studies in Nederland

==========

Call for papers

Critical dialogues on neurodiversity: A Special Section of Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research
Special Section editors: Damian Milton, Mitzi Waltz & Hanna Bertilsdotter Rosqvist

We are at a crucial point in the development of critical autism studies. Whilst there have been a growth in publications and events on this topic, there is also a growing divide between autistic-led and other scholarship in the area (Milton, 2016). In addition, critical research on neurodivergent ways of being other than autism, such as ADHD, is often situated outside of Disability Studies, primarily within the fields of medical sociology or critical mental health.

The vast majority of research published in the field of autism or other neurodivergent ways of being is closely aligned with clinical practice, resulting in a focus on establishing ways to ‘remediate the disorder.’ Whilst there may be indications that this is changing in some quarters, and the view that a neurodivergent way of being can involve potential cognitive strengths as well as limitations is emerging, such views have traditionally been held on the margins. One implication of this has been the exclusion of neurodivergent voices in the processes of knowledge production, leading to research in the field being epistemologically and ethically suspect (Milton and Bracher, 2013). Whilst seeking and obtaining the views of disabled people is now often a requirement of policy formation or legislation within and across national boundaries, such efforts often remain tokenistic in nature, particularly in the field of autism. Another implication is that researchers and policymakers often fail to examine the varying personal and social conditions in which neurodivergent people live, and the impact these have on disablement. Academic narratives about neurodiversity and neurodivergent people and cultures often do a disservice to the diversity of views therein, and can create further barriers by constraining or controlling the way neurodivergent people make their own contributions, are interpreted and are talked about.

This special section seeks to facilitate a sharing of views across critical perspectives within the neurodiversity field. We seek to broaden the field to include a diverse range of neurodivergent ways of being, bridging fields and connecting concepts and experiences, and also to make a positive change regarding the input of neurodivergent scholarship and to further a participatory ethos.

We welcome papers contributing to these goals. Papers are welcome to address one or more of the following empirical and theoretical themes:
•           Participatory and emancipatory research with and by neurodivergent people – theory, method and impact on policy.
•           Defining and diagnosing: Issues of identity, diagnostic categories, and the use and impact of diagnostic categories.
•           The dynamics of knowledge production about neurodivergent people, in particular within critical autism studies..
•           The barriers and opportunities in considering embodied situated knowledge and academic expertise, in particular for neurodivergent people working within academia.

We welcome papers drawing on empirical work, a review of literature or theoretical arguments. We especially encourage contributions that are based on participatory or emancipatory research, and contributions from neurodivergent scholars. Contributions may be in the form of original articles (up to 7000 words). (see https://www.sjdr.se/about/submissions/ for manuscript guidelines). All submissions will undergo anonymous peer review. The section will consists of 3-4 papers and an extended editorial introducing the current debates in the field and situating the section in relation to those debates.

Visit www.sjdr.se to login and submit your article online.

If you have questions, please contact the Corresponding Guest Editor: Damian Milton, [log in to unmask]
Deadline for submissions is 31st  May 2018. We anticipate a publication date in 2019.