Well that query threw up a lot more issues than anticipated!  Degraded rural areas, unlit urban areas, semi-urban favelas / informal settlements (there was at least one of these in the UK, actually quite near London, at Laindon, in the 1970s, but I think its been formalised into the western end of Basildon New Town now), temporary urban grazing within cities, etc etc.....Image of these former Laindon  'plotlands' here,
 http://www.laindonhistory.org.uk/page/buckingham_road_and_blue_house_farm

Many tnanks for all the replies, quite a lot of reading here.

What I was trying to do was get a figure for un-urbanised land, but of course the varying definitions of 'urban' around the globe scuppered that. If you try and 'scale down' the % population urban, to account for the hugely greater density of population of urban areas, you start to get erroneous figures for very highly urbanisd countries like Belgium, So my first idea of taking the % urban and reducing that by a factor of ten for urban area fails, at it's worst where a country is 98% or even 100% urban, as that would give, 90.2% and 90% rural respectively, which won't be right.

So here's an ad-hoc formula which 'compresses' the % urban for less urbanised countries but still approaches 100% urban area for 100% urban population countries. No it isn't based on any geog evidence, but it probably won't be too far off.

Take the % urban and raise to the power of 0.5(%urban x 100).
So a country that's 99% urban gets reckoned as 0.99 ^ (0.5 x 99).  (^ = to the power of, for those unfamiliar with mathematical notation, so 2 ^ 3 = 8).  So, 0.99 ^ 49.5 = 61% urban area.
For a 98% urban population we get 0.98 ^ 49 = 37% urban area.
97% urban population gives 23% urban area.
96% urban population gives 14% urban area,
94% urban population gives 5% urban area,
90% urban population gives 1% urban area. (One source given said the globe is ca. 2% urban by area, and it's 50% urban by population). Of course for a 100% urban country (e.g. Singapore), we still get 100% urban area (1.00 ^ 50 = 1.00)

Totally unscientific maybe but it does seem to approximate to something close to reality, for most countries. As it's density of rural population I wanted, over time from the 1950s to now, a slight 1 - 2% or so overestimation of the rural area for the less urbanised countries/times shouldn't matter too much; there's error in the population figures too of course.

Once again many thanks for all the replies and links.

Hillary J. Shaw
Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport