Hi all,

I know I may be preaching to the choir, but it just seems absurdly ironic that a "case for colonialism" was recently made just for us to witness the devastating effects U.S. colonialism is causing in Puerto Rico right now. The entire colonial infrastructure is preventing aid from entering the island and the Kafkian governance structure (between local, state, and federal governments) is making it impossible to distribute the supplies that are already in Puerto Rico's ports and airports. People are starving, running out of fresh water, and must withstand hours, if not days, of anxiety to fill their tanks with oil. As a result, people are trapped in their houses with no resources to feed themselves. The U.S. military is roaming the streets to provide a semblance of order, while the President went public to assure bondholders that Puerto Rico's debt will be "dealt with" regardless of the circumstances.

I urge this list to look past journal politics. Colonialism must be dismantled, and creating non-profit journals, or publishing in open access venues won't be enough. The first item in the agenda is ensuring that the U.S. exempts Puerto Rico from the Jones Act of 1917, an archaic colonial law which prevents non-U.S. vessels from delivering cargo in the island. Right now, aid is ready to be delivered to Puerto Rico from Cuba, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and many other Caribbean neighbors, but unless it is transferred to a U.S. vessel in, say, Florida, that aid will never reach those in desperate need.

In solidarity,
Joaquin