From: Andrew Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
To: hillshaw <[log in to unmask]>; CRIT-GEOG-FORUM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am
Subject: Re: Ethical issue re Transgender research, Bath Spa University (better link here)

Dear Hillary,

Thanks for sharing another article.

Without the full details of the submission to the ethics committee, I’m sure it’s almost impossible to pass judgement on the quality of the submission and the guidelines to ensure that any participants are not harmed by the proposed research.

What I do find concerning, however, is your need to share the ‘story’ of someone you know to justify your point(?). Without just doing this – you then continue to talk of this person in terms of being able to ‘pass’ (in your words: “I never guessed they weren't born as a female, you would never have guessed from talking to them/looking at them”). It is extremely problematic to talk and practice behaviour in this way – as it reinforces certain gender norms – and is something that I did not want to pass by on this forum as acceptable to say (though it is an everyday condition of trans lives). The practice of being able to ‘pass’ can be extremely damaging to some trans individuals, and needs to be a consideration.

This sort of positioning shows the complexities of researching(!) trans communities – and the Times article (which I have since read) seems to be more clickbait-esque than anything else.

Many thanks (and I hope you see this as me just pointing out the complexities of the issue – and to practice better as ‘critical’ geographers),

Andrew

Things like this article explain some of the issues:https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/wd7enm/passing-when-youre-transgender