Date:    Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:58:39 +0200
From:    Alex Mahoudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The case for colonialism

Hello all,

Regarding that point, and if I may be the annoying one in this plan, as
early-career researchers if we "look down" on big publishers' journals we
then look down on having jobs and other commodities such as homes and food,
since the attribution of said jobs is for a big part dependent upon our
capacity to publish in said journals. I say that while being favourable to
the escape from this consortium, but this is the answer to "Why oh why
critical social scientists keep publishing in those".

Now the advantage is that the persons in charge of setting the criteria for
recruitment are our senior peers, although they are still constrained in
their own ways I am sure. The first step is not the creation of independent
journals, even though independent journals are necessary. The first step is
the creation of a system which encourages people who participate to
independent journals.

Anyway, I'm sure the issue is more complicated than that, but I thought it
was worth reminding.

Best,

AM