*Call for papers // Speculative forays in Terran ruins: posthuman &
fictional possibilities*

Session organisers: Patrick Bresnihan (Trinity College, Dublin),  Naomi
Millner (University of Bristol) and Franklin Ginn (University of Bristol)

*This session will explore the possibilities of life within and beyond
capitalist ruins by thinking with and/or writing original pieces of
speculative fiction. We invite provocations that demonstrate rather than
describe how speculative writing can intervene within theatres of exhausted
environmental politics. We particularly encourage performative, fictional
and experimental formats of presentation.*

The imminent possibility of super-typhoons, tsunamis and eco-apocalyptic
catastrophe provides endless fodder for media outlets and film studios that
thrive off popular fears about the future (Lilley *et al., *2012). From
another perspective, the imagined ruins of capitalist civilization can also
provide a source of escape and possibiilty beyond such apolitical, hopeless
narratives; a place for experimenting with radically different scenarios
(Bater, 2016; Yusoff & Gabrys 2011). It is this second perspective, and the
rich vein of literary and visual work it has given rise to, that we aim to
explore in this session. We are particularly interested in drawing out the
*diversity* of progressive and radical speculative fictions: while they may
share a defiant refusal of the dead-end catastrophism represented in much
mainstream sci-fi,  they also offer many different visions of what a more
hopeful future looks like, how it will be achieved, and who or what will be
involved. As well as exploring the differences and tensions between
different visions of the future, we are interested in exploring the
ambiguities and unresolved questions that often animate individual works
and writers, and how these are brought to the surface.

We invite papers, performances, poetic pieces, ‘fragments’ and other
speculative interventions that explore the fertile ground between
science/speculative fiction and social/environmental justice. The works
discussed can be contemporary or historic - we particularly encourage
submissions that draw on speculative fictions from the past that may offer
clues to environmental thinking in the present. Presented papers may also
be partly, or wholly, composed of original fictional writing by the
contributing author.

We plan to hold a paper and a panel session so please indicate which one
you would like to be considered for.

Contributions may respond to questions including, but not limited to, the
following:

   - How can we better understand/describe the crossovers between feminist
   sci-fi and experimental forms of writing emerging within the environmental
   humanities, particularly those that use multispecies ethnographies to
   explore frontiers of (post)human existence 'in capitalist ruins' (Tsing,
   2016)?
   - How is agency conceived of in different speculative fictions? Who or
   what are the protagonists of socio-ecological change and how does this
   differ from (or reproduce) dominant theories of political change?
   - How have speculative fictions responded to the ‘limits to growth’
   without resorting to dystopian Malthusianism? How do such narratives relate
   to/support concepts like degrowth (see Kallis & March, 2016)?
   - How have speculative fictions addressed new technologies without
   resorting to conservative reaction or techno-utopianism (Heise & Robinson,
   2016, Wark, 2015)? How might such nuanced accounts inform debates and
   struggles around the in/justices of ‘green’ technologies?
   - How can we distinguish different imaginative fabrics that explorelife
   in (post)capitalist ruins, and from what sources do they emerge? How and
   where do solidarity, love, humour, and hope take root (and possibly
   flourish) when taken-for-granted infrastructures and systems collapse
   (Bresnihan, 2017)?
   - How can speculative fictions expand affective registers for coping in
   the Anthropocene -  helping us feel more than guilt or sadness at the loss
   of species or plastic waste, for example?
   - How can speculative fictions contribute to decolonial and feminist
   engagements with (post)human existence in and beyond capitalist ruins?

Please send abstracts/brief summaries (about 250 words) of your proposed
interventions to Patrick Bresnihan ([log in to unmask]) and/or Naomi Millner (
[log in to unmask]) by *1st October *with a brief (2 sentence) bio.