Dear Critters,

We are proud to announce the international conference Beyond Planetary Apartheid to be held in Lisbon (ICS-ULisboa/ISCTE-IUL), in May 2018. We kindly ask you to disseminate the CFP among your peers.

With best regards,

the organizing committee:

Giulia Daniele (CEI-IUL)

Pedro F Neto (ICS-ULisboa)

Simone Tulumello (ICS-ULisboa)

CALL FOR PAPERS

BEYOND PLANETARY APARTHEID

International Conference

9 -11 MAY 2018, Lisbon (Portugal)

ICS-ULisboa /ISCTE-IUL

Keynote Speakers: Loretta Lees (U.Leeds), Ilan Pappé (U.Exeter), Michel Agier (EHESS)

Org: Giulia Daniele (CEI-IUL); Pedro F Neto (ICS-ULisboa); Simone Tulumello (ICS-ULisboa)

Venues: ICS - Universidade de Lisboa/ ISCTE-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa

Lisbon, Portugal

Deadline: 01.12.2017

planetaryapartheid.wordpress.com

We welcome abstracts of about 300 words to be sent to [log in to unmask]

 by December 1st, 2017.

(see detailed CFP in attachment or through the link)

CFP: Beyond Planetary Apartheid (short abstract)

The contemporary physical, socio-cultural and political worlds are being increasingly compartmentalised. In this conference, we want to discuss whether, and to what extent, are the global society and space moving toward a state of generalised and planetary, if creeping, apartheid. While we observe settler colonialism becoming a global and transnational phenomenon, apartheidisation represents one of its forms in a continuous relationship with other political forces/processes, and in the consolidation of multiple (in)visible borders. Be they justified in the name of fear and insecurity or rather progress and development, a myriad of inter-related factors and processes (at micro-, meso-, and macro-levels) are pushing toward the proliferation of spaces of (in)voluntary exclusion often characterised by states of exception. While some thinkers have reasons to believe that all such trends will be intensified in the foreseeable future as a result of climate change and the subsequent socioeconomic and ecological crises, it is high time for an in-depth, grounded and forward-looking discussion of contemporary forms of apartheid.

(…)

This endeavour means opening up to conceptualisation and comparison across space and time. By calling geographers, architects, urban planners, anthropologists, historians, political scientists, sociologists, philosophers, and activists with a word on the matter, in this multidisciplinary conference we aim to present a crosscut perspective of the phenomenon of planetary apartheid, discussing such spaces and going beyond the mainstream critiques, avoiding any Manichaean visions between settlers/colonisers and natives/colonised, discussing dystopian presents and futures.

This conference also welcomes artistic and performative contributions: film/video, photography, paintings, installations, or any other type of art to be exhibited and discussed during the conference.

Deadline for submission:

The conference welcomes paper and artistic proposals. Paper proposals should include author’s pen name, affiliation, short bio blurb (max. 100 words), title, abstract (max. 300 words), and three keywords. The artistic proposals should include artist’s name, description (max. 100 words) and be accompanied by photograph and data about their size.

Proposals in English are due on December 1st, 2017, and should be emailed to:

​Applicants will be informed of the conference scientific committee’s decision by mid of January 2018. We expect all speakers to participate in the complete program of our conference.

--
Simone Tulumello
Post-doc research fellow, ULisboa, Instituto de Ciências Sociais

latest publications:

Tulumello S (2017) Fear, Space and Urban Planning. Springer (linkTulumello S (2017) The multi-scalar nature of urban security and public safety. Urban Affairs Review (link) / Tulumello S Healey P (2016) Questioning planning, connecting places and times. plaNext special issue (link) / Tulumello S. (2016) Multi-level Territorial Governance and Cohesion Policy. EJSD (link)