Please find below our final CFP with a slightly extended submission date of 25th September:

Final Call For Papers
American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting
New Orleans, April 10-14, 2018

Geographies of Sensory Politics
Session convenors: Michael Heffernan, Jake Hodder and Stephen Legg (University of Nottingham)

In these panels we hope to explore, in as broad a geographical sense as possible, the sensory aspects of politics: how is politics sensed, intuited or divined; what are the multi-sensory registers through which political agendas are communicated; how are spaces crafted to create political atmospheres; how are bodies disciplined to fit political spaces; how are bodies used to reject the disciplining efforts of political spaces; how do the senses disrupt political conduct and representation; and what are the challenges to reconstructing them historically?

We welcome papers reflecting on the methodological or philosophical challenges involved in researching the senses, or which challenge the category of senses itself; which attempt to communicate the range of tastes, sounds, smells, sights and feelings, accessed through accounts and depictions of the food, music, dress, aesthetics and other cultural aspects that shape political events or places; or which explore the sensory tactics of political operators in particular times and places. We are keen to invite studies of both contemporary and historical geographies, whether using the period and place to focus ‘in’ on particular sensory environments, or using a particular sensory encounter or site to focus ‘out’ on a political context (for instance internationalism, imperialism, neoliberalism, feudalism, militarism).

Please send titles and abstracts of up to 200 words to [log in to unmask] by 25th September 2017.