From: John Byrnes <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CLIMATE-CHANGE-IMPACTS] Re when will climate change get VISIBLE

Hello Ilan,

I've just perused the first one ("PNG") but it's an atoll and is the 20 cm of inundation rising sea level or sinking atoll (a la Darwinian classic)?
Have a read of the last paragraph in the "Conclusion".
What do you think?
I suspect he is a skeptic and may favour tectonic cause -- although he does not explicitly state that.
But look also at his previous writings on the subject:
"""""""""""""""""""
Connell, J. (2003) Losing ground? Tuvalu, the greenhouse effect and the garbage can, Asia Pacific Viewpoint 44(2): 89–107. Wiley Online Library
Connell, J. (2008) Niue: Embracing a culture of migration, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 34(6): 1021–1040. CrossRef | Web of Science® Times Cited: 22
Connell, J. (2013) Islands at risk? Economies, environments and contemporary change. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. CrossRef
Connell, J. (2015) Vulnerable islands: Climate change, tectonic change and changing livelihoods in the Western Pacific, The Contemporary Pacific 27(1): 1–36. CrossRef | Web of Science®
Connell, J. (2016) Nothing there atoll? Farewell to the Carteret Islands, in T. Crook and P. Rudiak-Gould (eds.), Appropriating climate change. Warsaw: De Gruyter Open in press.

I actually come from the same place as him ----- Geology at Uni. of Sydney.   Next time I'm in there I will talk to him about it.
I've only skimmed through the paper quickly at the moment.
One way or another the people are set to environmental or geologic (tectonic) refugees ... they cannot hang on there forever.
Connell has written about other similar island situations.
For the moment I might tend to avoid the atolls ... and look for cases in more stable settings .... but certainly will eventually read more fully on the atolls too.
Late now ... and will move on to your other examples later.
Thanks again, John

~~~