Hi Barry:

It is an X11.app  bug that has persisted for years now.  (It isn’t specific to coot).

Briefly,  this happens unless you uncheck the checkbox for “Displays have Separate Spaces” in System Preferences>Mission Control

William G. Scott
Director, Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu