From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tim Allen
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Larkin, Heaney, listpeak

Agree Peter, but I have a funny feeling that if I said what you've said below you would have pounced in negatively, particularly the middle sentence.

Cheers

Tim

On 24 Sep 2017, at 17:53, Peter Riley wrote:

Actually, yes, I do. They are certainly not problem-free, and no more “guaranteed quality” than Stevens, Dylan Thomas, Lee Harwood, Geoffrey Hill or a dozen more.  The assembling of them into one block suggests that for starters we recommend above all else ordinary communicative language with personal peculiarities witnessing to things you have noticed, neatly expressed. Nothing wrong in principle with that, but   Otherwise, why Frost rather than Yeats or Stevens? “Difficulty”? why not start with difficulty? Or instead, why not start with Ginsberg?