What's 'narrow' in this context? Well again it wasn't me who introduced the word. It was in the thread. From my perspective, at that time especially (late 60's early 70's) it meant work that did not appear to concern itself with the modern, with the variety, with the creative, with the width of experience that writing could engage with. Probably sounds stupid now, but that is how I felt. Subject wise narrow meant confined, too particular - over-familiar poetry concerns. Creative wise it meant unexciting, traditional. Come on, I was a young man really excited by lots of stuff I was reading and could relate to, but here was this bloke writing about his granpappy down on the farm. Would I call it 'narrow' now? No. But it doesn't make any difference. As for 'laying the blame' I don't 'blame' Heaney for anything, Trying to understand what happened and why is a pretty normal business, maybe not entirely neutral but then what is?

Cheers

Tim