I think modernism in general exploded many previous notions about a polarity between beauty and ugliness, but this doesn't mean that people stop using the terms, modernists included. My own take on consciously written anti-poetry (and this does not necessarily mean ugly) came early, then receded, then came back with force many years later, then receded again - still in recession at the moment. It's a very loose term anyway, but I did find that it applied to how I felt about what I was doing. But there is always a rift between the writing and reading side of any poet - I have enjoyed some 'mainstream' poetry, and still do when it is good, and genuine. There 'genuine' - another minefield.

Cheers

Tim