A year or so back I found myself, more by chance than anything, going through Larkin and Heaney at the same time—well, H.’s first four books plus his Beowulf translation— and found the experience of reading Larkin utterly dispiriting; that of reading Heaney, by contrast, I found (to my surprise, I admit) thoroughly absorbing and energizing.  There may be all sorts of reasons to dissent from Heaneyism, but any imagined similarity w/ Larkin makes little sense.

As for ‘Fosterage’, I’m struck by the negative aside about Hopkins (put into the voice of H.’s mentor).  How do you read that, Jamie?

fwiw,

Jeremy