This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.

Dear SHCG,

During our on-going collection rationalisation programme at Gallery Oldham we have come across a number of 'mystery objects' in our stores.

The first, posted here, looks like some kind of stapler. It has a spring-loaded mechanism and a handle that looks like it was used to release nails or staples. There is a cross-bar that suggests it may have been for stapling on a fold - possibly book spines or some kind of leather...we already have a lot of clogging, cobbling and shoe-making equipment.

Do you have one in your collection or know exactly what it is?

I'll post another one next week, so watch this space...

Bill Longshaw (Assistant Collections Officer, Gallery Oldham) [log in to unmask]

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST