Indeed Ruth. And equating word counts to credit points is just silly. It's message that matters, and ideas.
Phil

Sent from my mobile
Prof Phil Race

On 30 Aug 2017, at 16:34, Gilbert, Theo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello colleagues!

What an interesting thread!

:  )

 I've noticed that some fairly high ranking journals are now explicitly stating in their instructions to authors that they require plain, straightforward language use e.g. 'for an international readership'.   Worth having a look.

Similarly, here is a statement issued by the august Spencer Foundation (http://www.spencer.org/)  on what it  found particularly helpful in its selection of award winning doctoral dissertations.  The statement looks very much like the way things are going -  i.e. towards a greater valuing of  simple (not  simplistic) language to pin down complex information and/or concepts and thinking processes.

The Spencer Foundation on allocating awards for best dissertation.

“Clarity of Expression

Perhaps more than any other quality, the dissertations the committee identified as exemplary stand out for the clarity with which  they were written. Each lays out its argument in plain terms, using technical language as appropriate but without excessive use of jargon that clouds its meaning. While the ideas are often complex, the language is pointed and concise. From Stephanie Jones' lyrical writing about the lives of poor girls, to Katherine Charron's rich historical analysis, to Andrew Ho's crisp, plain-spoken explanation of complex measurement issues, each of the award winners communicates effectively with a broad audience of education experts from diverse fields. “

This way of thinking is  used in workshops for doctoral writers and for first year undergraduates at my uni and I imagine a number of others?   There are different takes on what being articulate means now.    Do you see this change too?  Do you welcome it?

Very best wishes,

 Theo Gilbert

ps  These any use on how this attention to simplicity can be tackled even for extended writing??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbhobpYyDvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KaN0uNheY

Dr Theo Gilbert, SFHEA

Lecturer, CAE; Academic Skills Tutor