Email makes it hard to relax when you’re on vacation. Even if you turn off notifications and refuse to check your inbox, it’s easy to spend your precious leisure time dreading the avalanche of messages that await you upon your return.

Arianna Huffington, founder and CEO of the wellness company Thrive Global, has a simple remedy for this dilemma. When an employee goes on vacation, all the emails they receive during that time are automatically deleted.

http://bit.ly/2xDP8x9
http://bit.ly/2xDP8x9+

We need to recalibrate our relationship with technology.

At Thrive Global, that was our thinking for why we created Thrive Away, our vacation email tool. The way it works is simple: While you’re away on vacation, people who email you get a message, letting them know when you’ll be back. And then — the most important part — the tool deletes the email. If the email is important, the sender can always send it again. If it’s not, then it’s not waiting for you when you get back, or, even worse, tempting you to read it while you’re away. So the key is not just that the tool is creating a wall between you and your email; it’s that it frees you from the mounting anxiety of having a mounting pile of emails waiting for you on your return — the stress of which mitigates the benefits of disconnecting in the first place.

http://bit.ly/2vt56td
http://bit.ly/2vt56td+

--
Peterk