​Dear all -

I'm in optimistic mode after a positive PhD supervision meeting yesterday that I may be reaching an end to this aspect of studies, and so I thought I would float an idea.

As a GP to trade, I have plenty of knowledge about medical terminology and often don't realise I am using it - but outwith this - zilch! I am a practical rather than academic person. Thus doing a PhD in the Faculty of Social Sciences plus learning about the world of RE/RS was a challenge. I had no concept or understanding of many (most) of the words rolling off the tongues of others.

What would have helped me immensely at the outset was a true "idiots guide" to the terminology that I was likely to encounter, in non-academic layman's terms so that I could understand it. The "idiots guide" would have so helped when I started to read guidelines, books, articles or listening to presentations.

The idea

I wondered if people might like to share their "word challenges" that they have or are experiencing while using RE/RS.

For those who have found solutions from literature or on you-tube etc, references including page numbers  or web addresses would be great.

A really interesting dimension would be asking the experts for their views about queries from students.

Then this could be collated as a resource for all.

Going forward

If anyone thinks this might be of help to them or future students, please let me know.

This is a totally non-funded idea so I would be planning on doing it as a "hobby" at home I hope from the beginning of 2018 if there was interest.

In the interim I would collect any emails that come in so that I have information to begin with.

It would be helpful in any replies to know a bit of individual context i.e. student or non-student and if studying outwith own area of work or former study comfort zones.

To set the word query bar low

I will embarrass myself first. Words that were never in my known or usable vocabulary included regularities, heuristic, empirical, iterative, anything to do with philosophy ....... I could but will not go on forever!

Jean

PhD student, University of Stirling

The University achieved an overall 5 stars in the QS World University Rankings 2016/17
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.