From: Plagiarism [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr. Mike Reddy
Sent: 27 July 2017 10:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Policy development and contract cheating OR outsourced assessment

Can we try to 'unname' the term "contract cheating" in favour of "outsourced assessment", which is both more accurate - covering in lieu exam sitting too - while avoiding pejorative and biased terminology. The words "cheat" and "steal" are emotionally charged terms that aren't helpful TBH. Furthermore, there is often no contract, as friends or fellow students are often responsible, rather than essay mills. Unless the contract being cheated is that between the student and the university, but that wasn't the context used in Lancaster's original paper; I wish it had been.

The term "outsourced assessment" came about in a lunchtime meeting with Phil Newton at Swansea, after we were both bemoaning how "contract cheating" had sadly caught on. We were introducing our respective PhD students to each other, both of whom are looking for a positive way forward on this issue.

So, let's reclaim our academic language. Outsourced Assessment!