Hi Luke,

You wrote ' It seems to me, that explaining what interpretation is and how it works would be an important part of design research and iconology.'

It’s a big question and applies across  a broad swath of foundational questions in design theory.

I've found Damasio's 'Descartes Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain' and 'The feeling of what happens: Body and Emotion in the making of consciousness' plus Bastick's 'Intuition: Evaluating the Construct and its Impact on Creative Thinking'  and Intuition: How we Think and Act' are potentially useful in this.

They go some way to addressing how this is doen internally in the body  in ways that align with the current biological evidence - rather than approaches based on potentially illusory subjective theorisation or that focus on the external objects and try to explain the internal bodily processes in terms of external inputs.

Best wishes,
Terry

==
Dr Terence Love