In response to Gordon Plumb, I investigated all the stories I could find of people tried for heresy about eucharistic theology.  None I could find were tried (or put to death) for denying transubstantiation.  All I could find were people tried for denying the real presence which is quite a different thing.  A belief in the real presence states that the risen Christ is present in the Eucharist.  Transubstantiation suggests different ways of how that might be so.  My review of these trials is in the article "The Dogma of Transubstantiation in the Middle Ages." Journal of Ecclesiastical History 45 (1994): 11-41.