Dear all,

I was wondering if I could get some tips on 3D scanners?

As part of our new Public History and Heritage MA we're working with Crich Tramway Museum on a module where I’d like students to scan and work with digital museum objects. We’re not too bothered about 3D-printing the objects, it would just be for the digital version to be used as an asset in a virtual reality setting. Though I suppose the files could be used for that purpose at a later date.

I’m currently talking to other University departments to see what we could use or borrow from elsewhere, but also wanted to look into possibilities and costs for our department to buy one.

From a quick look around the variation in cost is considerable so I wanted to ask the group if you have any recommendations or if you had any suggestions or advice about what to look for?

At the moment I know it would have to be portable and produce a file that could be used in Sketchup (is this standard for scanners?). We haven’t determined what objects we’d like to scan at the Museum yet, but I’d like to have some flexibility over size etc so we could use it in future years with different objects/partners. Though I appreciate a scanner that could take in an entire tram may be a little ambitious.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Kathleen

Kathleen McIlvenna
Lecturer in History
College of Arts, Humanities and Education

T: 01332 591168
W: www.derby.ac.uk<http://www.derby.ac.uk/>

University of Derby,
Kedleston Road,
Derby,
DE22 1GB, UK

[https://i.emlfiles.com/cmpimg/0/6/6/2/7/files/7848798_spacer.gif]

[https://i.emlfiles.com/cmpimg/0/6/6/2/7/files/7848799_top50.jpg]

[Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/DerbyUni>

[Twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/DerbyUni>

[instagram]<http://instagram.com/derbyuni>

[https://i.emlfiles.com/cmpimg/0/6/6/2/7/files/7848798_spacer.gif]

[https://i.emlfiles.com/cmpimg/0/6/6/2/7/files/7848798_spacer.gif]

[https://i.emlfiles.com/cmpimg/0/6/6/2/7/files/7848798_spacer.gif]

[University of Derby]<http://www.derby.ac.uk/>

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg