I am working with members of staff at the University of Law who actively investigating library services platforms (LSP) and associated discovery services. A key goal is to improve the user experience of finding the best, most appropriate law resources to meet undergraduate and postgraduate needs. Many key law resources (notably some of the resources provided by Westlaw and LexisNexis) are not indexed in the central indexes of discovery services such as EDS, Primo and Summon so this limits the value of these tools. Some of the issues were nicely summarised (from a Canadian law firm perspective) a few years ago in “The problem with discovery tools and law firm libraries”. By Susannah Tredwell. Slaw [Canada’s online legal magazine]. Nov 2013 http://www.slaw.ca/2013/11/06/the-problem-with-discovery-tools-and-law-firm-libraries/

We would be especially grateful for advice on how other libraries are dealing with this issue. In particular how are you providing links to the full text of electronic law resources in an overall ‘discovery’ environment that includes a catalogue of printed material and ebooks. What feedback do you get from law students about the solutions you offer?

We do note of course that universities provide subject guides to help user navigate the information landscape e.g.

·         Cambridge: https://www.law.cam.ac.uk/legal-resources-0

·         LSE: http://www.lse.ac.uk/Library/Collections/Subject-guides/Law?from_serp=1#CaseLaw

·         Portsmouth: http://www.libr.port.ac.uk/subject/page220.html

·         Southampton (Libguides): http://library.soton.ac.uk/law

All advice and comment is gratefully received. Please respond to the list or directly to me [log in to unmask]

Many thanks

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd http://www.kenchadconsulting.com Tel: +44(0)7788727845

Twitter: @kenchad | Skype: kenchadconsulting |Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/kenchad