I think there's a tension here though between pragmatism and functionality. The advantage of singling out a specific standard is that you can then rely on the additional affordances of that standard. ORCID has a useful API that allows the extraction of additional information about the owner of the ID. Such things are possible in other ways for generic HTTP(S) URIs, but there is no standard way of doing so.

Jez