Hi Ian,

Partition is being marked in museums, I’m not sure how much it has been emphasised as a national issue for culture to address, but here are some examples of individual projects:

Bradford Peace Museum:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/seventy-years-on-the-untold-stories-from-the-partition-of-india-1-8564548

Sampad:

http://sampad.org.uk/project/the-partition-trail-voice-of-1947/

Migration Museum:

http://www.migrationmuseum.org/nations-divided-how-to-teach-the-history-of-partition/

Lowry Museum:

http://mif.co.uk/mif17-events/home1947/

Manchester Museum:

http://citizen.britishmuseum.org/manchester-museum/

HLF:

https://www.hlf.org.uk/our-projects/1947-partition-project

Science Museum:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/Plan_your_visit/exhibitions/illuminating-india

I would also recommend getting touch with New Walk Museum, Leicester.  Their website is the council website so they don’t show details of current projects, but they’ve worked with Leicester’s South Asian communities quite a bit, so they may be doing so for this.

If you want to compare the British response to that in India, Amritsar has founded a whole new museum on the topic:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/after-nearly-70-years-india-pakistan-partition-gets-museum-180961682/

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Holly

Holly Bee

Education Officer

GEM, [log in to unmask],  +44 (0) 1634 853424, www.gem.org.uk

Book now for this year’s GEM conference: Facing the Future, Forging Ahead, 5 – 7 September 2017, Hull