Hi Ludovica,
here's what you indicate as a necessary first step in the Userguide and I have a few questions about it

Before running BIANCA you need to:

  1. Choose your base image. This will be your reference space for your input and output images.
  2. Perform brain extraction on (at least) one modality to be able to derive a brain mask *
  3. Register all the other modalities to your base image for each subject.
1. Does my "base image" need to be a structural image or an MNI is also ok? do you have any specific suggestion?
2. I performed fsl_anat and the command to get a bianca_mask: I have no clarity of idea in relation to whether I have to premask or postmask or both
3. Does a linear registration work fine enough?

Thanks,
Matteo

Dear Matteo,
yes, BIANCA requires some images where the WMH are labelled, to learn how to classify them in the rest of the subjects.
You will need to prepare some binary images of WMH (1 inside the lesions, 0 outside) from your data (usually FLAIR is used as the WMH are better identifiable)
I would suggest 10 subjects to start with (in our experience it works better if you use the ones with higher WMH load) and then see if you are happy with the results or you need to add more.
Hope it helps,
Ludovica

—
Ludovica Griffanti, PhD
Analysis Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Wellcome Centre for Integrative Neuroimaging (WIN)
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain (FMRIB)
Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford
John Radcliffe Hospital
Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
email: ludovica.griffanti@ndcn.ox.ac.uk